Thursday, December 20, 2012

Submitting Final Grades Before the End of the World

Well, here it is - the end of the semester.  Finals have been studied for, papers have been written.  Professors are gathering their strategies for dealing with grade complaints; students are gathering their things and heading home to celebrate the holidays with their families.  My world is filled with final portfolios and urgent student emails.  Until this morning, I forgot that tomorrow is the end of the world.

(http://www.mylot.com/w/photokeywords/mayan+calendar.aspx)

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a believer.  I was in Central America this past summer and the tour guides at the Mayan ruins  were completely unaffected by the possibility that the Mayans had predicted the end of the world.  They were skeptical, but happy; after all, they make money off of those of us who want to see the ruins and question the mysticism of a culture long-gone.  But even with no batteries in the house, no bottled water, I'm working hard to get my final grades in before tomorrow.  Why?


Cahal Pech Ruins, Belize - May, 2012

Reason #1:  If they survive, won't students be thankful for their grades and less likely to complain?  I tell myself that life is ultimately more important than a C-, that breath trumps G.P.A.  Idealistic, I know.  Hopeful at best.  And yet, the beauty and strength our country has shown in the past few months, between a "superstorm" that crippled us and a school shooting that took those most innocent and close to all of our hearts, has made me believe the best in people.  So, let me hold on to the belief that my students will appreciate life and allow me to appreciate mine.

Reason #2:  I am completely obsessive about my email.  During the semester, I cannot go a day without checking it.  If grades are not submitted, I can't put an away message up on my email for the end of the world because technically, my students might still need me.  I don't consider my semester finished until I enter those grades into the system.   And who wants to check their email during the apocalypse?  My phone didn't even work after the hurricane; I'm not sure what will happen if alien overlords descend onto our planet and make us their slaves.

Reason #3:  I just want to be done!  Let's be real; saying the end of the world is coming tomorrow is just a reason to be done by the 21st of December, quite early when you consider that grades are not even due until 12/27.  This semester has been rewarding on many levels. I have found myself as an academic and am more confident than ever in my ability to help my students reach their goals.  I piloted a new hybrid syllabus and some essay assignments that I think worked quite well and that I can tweak to perfect before the Spring semester.  I offered feedback until my eyes felt like they were bleeding.  And now., it's time to write out those holiday cards (yes, friends and family, you will be getting those around Christmas Eve because that's the way I roll), wrap those gifts (and I really take pride in my wrapping, so that takes some time), bake those cookies and gather with my friends to watch the end of the world.

After all, if the world is going to end, who wants final grades hanging over their heads?  Not this professor.  Count me as finished by tomorrow - and let me know if you survive.


REM - It's the End of the World As We Know It

No comments:

Post a Comment